Re: [ProgSoc] VMWare - what to use on the bottom?

 ] windows network, so I want to run windows on it too. My initial plan
 ] was to use VMWare, but can't decide which OS to run virtually. Any
 ] considerations or thoughts here? Or other solutions?

 Do you need the W32 platform on your laptop, or can you
 host that elsewhere on the network (and use vmware server
 console to talk to it).

need it on the laptop

 Personally I'd go for GNU/Linux native and W32 in a VM on top
 of it, primarily for the sake of stability, but partly my preference
 for the [networking] tools available and my preference for using
 those on a native machine rather than from within a virtual machine.

 OTOH if you're unfamiliar with the platform, laptops are a painful
 introduction to the delights and joys of getting exotic hardware
 working.  This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it - merely that it
 might not be as straightforward as on a desktop machine.

I decided to go for windows native, figuring it would be easier to install and set up the drivers and such. How wrong was I... three hours wasted, now I'm downloading ubuntu, which I hear installs on an IBM R52 without a hitch.