Re: [ProgSoc] REST vs. HTTP in the real world

John Elliot wrote:
If anyone would like to defend PUT and DELETE I would like to hear their case. What value do PUT and DELETE provide, and why should I accept them as useful or necessary?

Wasn't PUT supposedly to be the complement of GET? IE you GET a bit of structured data (JSON or whatever) and then make changes to it and PUT the same data back. This is very neat if you're one of those "Web file system" types but even makes sense in a more limited domain (eg the policy editor for the bug tracker I'm writing runs in the browser, requests policies from the server in JSON format and then posts back the same data (modulo any policy changes the administrator just made). It seems like a good use for PUT, but I didn't actually choose PUT because I haven't been bothered to find out how well it's supported.

The alternative (POST) isn't supposed to be symmetrical and is basically about submitting form data (only).

PUT seems pretty simple, so I don't really see how it can be standardised wrongly. But I have been very wrong in the past about Web standards I'm not going to pretend I know much about it.

I don't really understand DELETE because the obvious argument in its favour implies a corresponding CREATE to me. Perhaps there is one.

Also why was 80% of your post in the future tense?

- N