Re: [ProgSoc] REST vs. HTTP in the real world

On Tue, 29 May 2007, James Andrewartha wrote:
> John Elliot wrote:
> > You concede then that POST is the way to go for
> > web-applications/APIs where 'resources' don't map cleanly to
> > 'files'?
>
> No, since I'd expect /my-doc?section=2.1 to contain links to one or
> more URIs that identify the component(s) of section 2.1 that can then
> have the PUT or DELETE or GET operation invoked.

You wouldn't expect /my-doc?section=2.1 to contain the content of
section 2.1 of my-doc?

> > Will you also grant that in most web-applications such conceptual
> > mappings are non-existent and/or impractical?
>
> No. For a whole lot of the web-apps that have SQL backends the
> conceptual mapping is quite easy.

Do you understand the motivation for putting what is referred to
as "business logic" in front of what are otherwise database CRUD
operations?

> > I think that that having effect-bearing operations go 'via
> > business-logic' provided by a service is the way to go, and that
> > POST is the correct verb to use for that. What do you think of
> > that? (That's the subject here, it's not a "What is REST?"
> > discussion.)
>
> I think it results in a web that has poor cacheability, higher
> cognitive load and less flexibility.

You might explain what justification you have for such thoughts?