Re: [ProgSoc] REST vs. HTTP in the real world

On Thu, 31 May 2007, James Andrewartha wrote:
> John Elliot wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 May 2007, Nigel Sheridan-Smith wrote:
> >> What was the point, John? I think you already had the outcome in
> >> mind
> >
> > Of course I did. That was basically to make a number of points, for
> > the sake of having them heard. I benefit, because it's an
> > opportunity to clarify my thinking.
> >
> > I'm not interested in having the "What is REST?" discussion with
> > you.
>
> Since it's obvious we disagree on the basic terms

Yes, I think so too.

> there's no hope for this argument to proceed. I would argue that if
> all you wanted to do was to make points to have them heard, a blog
> entry would be far more appropriate than a faux arguement on a mailing
> list.

I deliberately constrained the scope that I was willing to discuss to
the issue of the HTTP verbs PUT and DELETE. You wanted to move over to
having the "What is REST?" discussion. I know from experience that I
don't have the time to have that discussion.

This wasn't a "faux argument". It was a debate, in the classic sense,
whereby I present one side of the argument, someone else presents the
other side, and the reader is left to make draw their own conclusions.

I think it was valuable.