Re: [ProgSoc] REST vs. HTTP in the real world

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Myles Byrne wrote:
> Next time you bring up one of these "design discussions" can you
> provide us with some concrete examples of how the change in your
> thinking led to better code?

This "2 vs 4 methods" discussion is just one of many, and the details
matter [1]. Not all problems are in the "how few lines can we do this
in?" class.

	"Letâs be realistic. No software architecture can truly withstand
implementation. REST is really great, but on the web, there is plenty
of detail work to be cleared out, like push, containership, encoding,
side-effected GETs, curse-of-popularity, queuing, 2 versus 4 methods,
universal format junk, and authentication, among others. I could go on,
itâs messy out there.

	"Issues like these will become more important, or more distracting,
depending on your point of view, as the style gets adopted. So run away
screaming from anyone who dismisses these as âjust implementation
detailsâ â implementation details matter. They cost money, and break
hearts."

[1] http://lesscode.org/2006/03/19/rest-wins-noone-%20goes-home/