Re: [ProgSoc] Flex

On 28/07/2007, at 4:54 PM, jedd wrote:
AIR, like Flex (builder, say) is one of those things they seem to
 enjoy asserting is cross platform .. but they mean 'both versions
 of windows' .. maybe OSX if you're lucky .. and GNU/Linux RSN.

Does the lack of anything other than a stated commitment there deter
you, or are the timeframes / market so short term that it's immaterial?

I'm involved in the pre-release testing and discussion of AIR, so I've been involved in the threads talking about how to implement particular features (such as notifications, window management etc.) which will work across all the supported platforms. XP, Vista and Mac OS (both Tiger and Leopard) are always discussed, so that should give you some peace of mind. True, Linux has only been mentioned as a "nice to have" in the beginning and has been shoved aside for now, but once AIR hits 1.0 I'm sure it will come up in discussions again. The fact that I am able to do all my Flex development on Linux makes me happy for now...

An interesting point to note is that SAP has jumped on the AIR bandwagon [1][2]...I can't imagine someone as monolithic as SAP doing so without a hearty swathe of terms, conditions and first-born-child rights signed over.

Cheers

--
Nathan de Vries

[1] http://redmonk.com/jgovernor/2006/12/01/case-study-t-mobile-and- adobe-flex-extending-sap-with-agile-methods