Re: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

John Elliot wrote:
Hailey Jane Settineri wrote:
The broadest common interest that I believe most people
to share is the �me factor.� Selfishness drives all aspects of human nature, even our reaction to advertisements.
When you're a little older, and wiser, and, "ahem", more emotionally
intelligent (wink), I think you'll recognise that there's a better way
to go about serving your own interests than, um, "serving your own
interests".
Having just re-read that... I feel I should point out that it wasn't
meant to be "condescending", but "empathetic".
In other words... the way you're thinking is pretty much the way I used
to think... but eventually you kinda figure out that that's not where
it's at. Or... at least... I hope you do. :)
p.s. Our common interest begins with survival, and ends at "self
actualisation", for want of a better term. Humans are pretty reliable in
their "selfish" desire to progress through Maslow's Hierarchy... and
the, ugh, "higher life-forms", recognise the value of cooperation.
Eventually you're confronted with the horrendous concept of "trust". I know!