RE: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

> > I think the big problem (apart from Nicholas counting
> > quotes) is that what you're trying to prove .. can't be
> > proven using the science that you're decrying.
> >
> >  Indeed, it probably can't be proven at all.
>
> Yep... that's pretty much exactly right. All we can really
> "prove" is that we haven't got the means to make proofs.
>
> Which leaves us in quite a troublesome area, because we find
> ourselves needing to invoke a rather sticky concept: faith.

Well, this might provoke another crazed rant from John, but here goes...

If jedd is accurately summarizing the situation, then it sounds like the
story goes something like this:

1. There are truths that cannot be proven with reason.

2. In your deliberations on whatever, you've had some kind of almost
spiritual/religious experience, and you decide that "this must be one of
those un-provable truths".

3. Then, because you are claiming it is outside of reason you effectively
block any possible counter-argument (and can claim that it is actually about
faith).

Which I guess leaves everybody else to admit that, yes, technically it is
possible that they've found something...

But, I'm personally not convinced that whatever it is you're going on about
just happens to be one of those things that is both a 'truth' and 'outside
of reason'. My feeling is that, given the cleverness of the work to reach
step 1 above, there should be something more to such an 'enlightenment' of
step 2.

But, I guess this is also a form of faith, and we're not really going
anywhere with this.

Oh well, I must admit I've enjoyed this thread. "A good time was had by
all".

So, computer programming...

-Ben