Re: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

Matthew Beauregard wrote:
John you may be right that value in general is hard to quantify, but
value for money is easy to quantify and frequently done.
This is the "strange loop" problem.

If you look at money and say, "hey, that quantifies Value!", well... that's kinda true. In a sense, money *does* 'reflect' value. "Money" is a "communication medium", which we use to express what we value. We do this when we make purchasing decisions.
The thing is... who's making purchasing decisions, and what informs
those decisions?
Ahhhhhhh...

Do you see? You can't avoid the fact that you have "values".

You and your company aren't "separate" from the economy, you're a *part* of it. So... you do need to have your own values, and you can't look solely at what other people are doing with their money to inform that, because if everyone did that... what then would "money" represent?