Re: [ProgSoc] Drying up, hands or money

* Andrew Halliday <andrew.halliday@xxxxxxxxx> [2007-08-16 12:38]:
>     > 17. Lack of open OS, no 3rd Party apps allowed.
>     This is a legitimate embuggerance, but they're fixing it.
>

> If by fixing you mean AJAX web apps, then sure, otherwise no.

I probably have slightly better inside knowledge than you do.  No
guarantee, but don't give up hope.

>     > 18. Locked to a single telco.
>     ... because the telco needs to make infrastructure changes so that the
>     iPhone's UI can be sufficiently fantastic.  Good thing.  Conceivably
>     it could launch into the Australian market on multiple carriers
>     because our situation isn't as pathological as the US market.
>

> Have you read the reviews on how shite AT&T's edge network is and how poorly it
> is coping with the iPhone? ( http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/
> 004847.html)

I'm surely not suggesting that AT&T's network is up to snuff -- but to
launch an iPhone you need to partner with a carrier that has EDGE at
all, will modify their backend to support visual voicemail and
whatnot, and won't entirely cripple any phone feature that they can't
bill for.  Getting these three ducks in a row in the US market is a
miracle so I don't blame them for starting out with one carrier.

>     > 19. Touchscreen UI. Tactile buttons are easier to use
>     You've tried, have you?  My phone has a tactile keyboard and I assure
>     you that you couldn't possibly use it without looking and that it's
>     bloody painful.
>

> Most are like that but some of the treos and blackberry's aren't too bad. Are
> you saying you don't have to look at the touchscreen on an iphone when using
> it? (I have used an iPhone btw and was less than impressed with the touchscreen
> UI.)

No, I'm saying that you have to look to operate an iPhone and a P990i
and the Nokia smartphone that my colleague was waving around, so I'd
say they're all much of a muchness.  If you're not advocating that
tactility means you can touch type then ignore my statement.
Interestingly, some people report that the software correction for
their fat fingers on the iPhone is easier than tactile keys.

And at least one P990i user reported that he actually types faster by
growing spikes on the inside edge of his thumbnails and using them to
operate the virtual keyboard than by using the tactile one.

> I just think I want too much. Like a laptop in a mobile form factor. That
> doesn't require rebooting all the time to make a call.

I wanted a GTD implementation in a mobile form factor.  The P990i
ain't it.

Who can recommend a smartphone with a nice SDK?

regards,

--
Matthew Beauregard
Casual Academic