Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

John Elliot wrote:

> You might not like smoking, but there is no way that walking past the
> door of building 10 constitutes any form of health risk for you or
> anyone else.

What, no citations as usual?

Maybe you should research the effects of second hand smoke on people
with allergies.

By the way, I have allergies (which is not uncommon) and get bad
headaches after even a few seconds of exposure to smoke, which last long
after that exposure, and more recently have developed a reaction of
uncontrollable sneezing after exposure to smoke. The smoke that people
exhale outside the front of building 10 (despite the no smoking sign
that is there from my recollection) not only wafts through the doors
into the building but also into the cafeteria at the entrance. I can
hold my breath (uncomfortably) while walking through the doors and half
way up the first flight of stairs, but I can't hold my breath through an
entire meal. The right to smoke at the front entrance seems like
priority treatment. Do you think priority treatment should be given to
people who exhale thick smoke around that makes it difficult for some
others to breathe? I think the no smoking signs at building entrances
are therefore quite sensible. It is unfortunate that some people ignore
them, only caring about themselves and not others.

I agree with you that people should have the freedom to smoke, but it is
careless to smoke in the vacinity of other people who may suffer because
of that smoke. It would be more considerate to find a more spacious
place where other people at least have the option to avoid coming near
you.

--
Ryan Heise
http://www.ryanheise.com/