Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

Roland Turner wrote:
I am outright hostile towards the payment of welfare to people who fail
to make every effort to:

a) support themselves

and

b) protect their ability to support themselves
I was watching a recent report that tried to represent a few Aussie
attitudes toward contemporary issues by interviewing people off the
street. There were two twenty year-old girls from Penrith talking, and
one explained about how she's a "dole bludger", and that she's
comfortable enough so there's no incentive for her to go out and seek
work. Instead, she spends most of her day running around after her
child. The proverbial single Mum with a daughter. Her comment was that
she felt 'guilty' about this.
The typical reaction to this is "That's disgraceful!", but I don't think
so. I'm quite happy to know that we have enough wealth in this country
to support a twenty year-old woman from Penrith so that she has enough
time and money to help raise her child. I'll help pay for that,
especially seeing as how we can. That's a Good Thing. The ability of an
economy to sponsor social programmes like this should be seen as a sign
of strength; as a sign of the effectiveness and productiveness of a
civilised and free society.