Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

Roland Turner wrote:
On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 10:30 +1000, John Elliot wrote:
It seems a little ridiculous to me that people would get a warm gooey feeling for donating money to a charity (which are often affiliated with a religion), and feel resentful about paying their tax (which is
The difference is choice.
You don't have to live here. :)

administered by a professional institution, the government of which you elect, that is (ostensibly) separated from The Church). I'd rather pay tax than support a charity,
That's your choice, but it's not a common one. It is important that the
freedom to choose exist, not that society happen to be structured along
the lines of your particular choices.
Sure. That's what voting is about. Obviously the way I look at things
isn't the way most people look at things. Not even close.
Both are seeking power; even if someone who is not seeking power happens
to accidentally end up in such a position from time to time, the
overwhelming tendency is for those positions to be occupied by people
seeking power.

The _only_ way to prevent this is to eliminate (or at least reduce) the
concentration of power in the first place, and that by shrinking taxes
to single percentage points.
I know about this theory. I don't believe it's a good idea.