Re: [ProgSoc] For my own edification...

On 10/26/07, John Elliot <jj5@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> victor rajewski wrote:
> >> p.s. I was talking about this [1] last night, and said I'd post the
> >> link. So... there it is.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/EU_tells_open_source_to_start_paying_MS_patent_tax
> >
> > Then there's this article:
> >
> > http://www.itnews.com.au/News/63623,eu-forces-microsoft-to-cage-open-source-patent-dogs.aspx
> >
> > Which says that the 0.4% patent licensing is only for commercial
> > products; open source projects will be protected from patent threats
> > for free.
>
> Great! The only people who get screwed are programmers and small
> software companies!

And large and small companies alike will continue to have to pay
non-Microsoft companies patent royalties. This is a considerable
discount for them all.

Although, the upshot of this will be that it becomes more lucrative
for EU software companies (particularly small ones) to create open
source software.

vik