Re: [ProgSoc] Have you registered to vote yet?

jedd wrote:
 When I talk about food production systems, I'm being somewhat
 more holistic than just focussing on the few minutes at the end
 of the process that concerns itself with distribution.  Obviously the
 goal is to reduce that component to as close to zero as possible.
It's interesting to note that Australia doesn't have a big tradition of
the "veggie garden". That is, it's far more common for the gardens in
the front and backyards to have flowers and "shrubbery" (ni!), than say
herbs, potatoes, tomatoes and fruit trees. That's not to say that the
home veggie garden is particularly uncommon, just that it's usually a
tiny little patch of neglect, rather than a glorious deployment through
the front and back yard.
It makes me think that there's a business opportunity there. If one were
to go and speak with a company like Jim's Mowing, and put to them the
idea of turning the family garden into the family veggie garden (which
could still be 'artistically' kept), then a whole little industry might
spring up about the idea.
One of the problems in Australia is the lack of water. So, one of the
first items of sale would be installation of rain water tanks, and grey
water recycling facilities. Families that forked out for this
infrastructure (receiving government subsidies, no doubt) at the same
time as 'redecorating' with a full blown veggie garden, rather than a
rose garden, would have what they need for their Environmentally
Friendly Status Symbol.
A lot of families fork out for someone to come and mow their lawn and
look after their garden, and there are companies with the relationships
to make the sales, and the workforce and mechanism to deploy the skills
and labour.
If someone wanted to put something like that together, I imagine all
they'd need to do is go and find a plumbing company, and a big
franchised mowing/gardening company, and get them to collaborate to
deliver a new type of service... someone who helps to design the home
veggie garden and install the irrigation systems, then someone who comes
around once a week to keep an eye on it, as well as to share advice
about growing food at home, and probably mowing the lawn while they were
there...