Re: [ProgSoc] GPL & CDDL

On 09/11/2007, at 5:49 PM, Nathan de Vries wrote:

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 16:49 +1100, Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wrote:
...you could wait for the Linux community to reimplement
the technology badly using a suitable license.
Indeed there is work being done on a ZFS-inspired file-system (btrfs)
licenced under the GPL [1]
That's disappointing but not surprising. Thanks for the link.

My point is, why can't the GPL play nice with other free software
licences such as the CDDL [2]? Will the GPLv3 fix this to some degree,
or are we stuck in a re-licencing cycle every time a non-GPL project
wants to play nice?
As other people have pointed out, you can have any number of
unrestrictive licenses, but only one restrictive one in an ecosystem
if you want everything to work together.
I have a feeling this question reeks of ignorance, but is there not a
better way?
Yes: avoid restrictive licenses. Or you could require everyone to
impose exactly the same restrictions, which is what some others in the
thread are advocating.