Re: [ProgSoc] Time for a letter to your local rep?

John Elliot wrote:
Nathan de Vries wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/31/2129471.htm
What's the complaint?
I've been thinking about it, and these are my complaints:

- It should be an opt-in system, not an opt-out system. This is the big issue.
 - The government shouldn't out-source this filtering function to the
private sector, instead it should mandate that the private sector offer
it as an option. (I.e. the government shouldn't censor the web, but it
might require ISP companies to have a minimum service offering for
"concerned parents") This only concerns "who" is offering "what", it
doesn't change what's offered, but makes sure responsibility is clear.
 - Citizens should be informed about the monitoring, tracing and
filtering capabilities applicable to their connections -- the government
is kidding itself if it thinks that a "contract" or a "law" protects
people's privacy from the private sector to whom the government
out-sources the administration of this function. Will the government
prevent the private sector from running a user in "passive mode" when
they opt-out, and then logging and reporting on their usage? If not,
what's the point of "opt-out"?
 - The government and industry should not present it as a panacea or
even as necessarily "effective" -- without doubt a sufficiently
determined teenager will get his porno, centralised filtration system or
no. This is a "best efforts" 80/20 kind of a solution, and parents
shouldn't be lead to believe otherwise -- nor should they lean on it in
the stead of actual, ah, parenting.