Re: [ProgSoc] [Fwd: [ADMIN] Network upgrade]

On 1/24/08, Nathan de Vries <nathan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 15:33 +0800, Roland Turner wrote:
> > > - I don't know of any backups
> >
> > There are none.
>
> Ye of little faith. I did backups during my time as CTO. I'm pretty sure
> Rob did them too.
>
> > I tried to work out some years ago how to rationalise the firewall
> > (and switch to iptables), I gave up.
>
> Sometime during then and now, Medusa has been switched to iptables. More
> specifically, it was the mysterious "root" on 12/01/2006 according to
> RCS ;).

I think that was Andrew Wilson who cleaned that up, but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately 'last' only goes back to 2008. Basically it is setup so
that everyone has a seperate login id (whose id is 0) and then you 'su
-' to get the full root environment setup.

> > (WiFi and IPv6 complicate things, of course...)
>
> If you ignore IPv6, I'm pretty sure Anand will come in and clean things
> up for you :).

Yep :-)

Hopefully with all this new hardware they'll only be able to run 2.6
kernels so getting things working with IPv6 (and ensuring Progsoc has
access to ipv6porn.com) should be trivial.

Cheers,
Anand