Re: [ProgSoc] VPS recommendations?

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 15:49 +0000, Anand Kumria wrote:

> On 2/11/08, Mike Abdow <myke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyone here have any experiences with VPS hosting?
>
> Alas, I know of no good ones in .au -- if you hear of any, I'm all ears.
>
> That said:
>  - linode (US)
>  - slicehosting (US)
>  - bytemark (UK)

I use Bytemark, have done since their early days, very happy with them.

> ... I think you need to some advice by Joel (on software): everyone
> else's code is bug-ridden garbage. If it matters to you, you do it
> yourself.
>
> Never trust anyone else to do your backups.

Ditto.

Failing to check backups is the same as not having any because, over any
extended period of time, the probability of a
backups-not-being-made-anymore-bug creeping in to your automated backup
system approaches one. You can hardly blame your hosting provider for
your own failure to check. If you are using a hosting provider who
doesn't allow you to check then it's still not their fault, you've
simply chosen poorly.

Placing backups under the same administrative control as the originals
that they protect is also pointless. Backups are a hedge, a hedge is
only useful if possible problems are inversely- (or, at worst, un-)
correlated. It is impossible to have this happen if the same
administrative control applies to both the original and the backup
(consider what happens if the provider becomes insolvent).

Storage space on Dreamhost (and even Amazon S3) is cheap; if you
_really_ can't put a cheap PC with a big hard-drive (or two) somewhere
on the end of a DSL connection then, at least, push backups onto an
online storage provider which has no commercial/technical ties to your
VPS provider.

- Raz