[ProgSoc] National Broadband Network approved

arp arp at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 15:06:30 EST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 12:55:05PM +1000, sanguinev at progsoc.org wrote:
> Fibre to the property sounds great, although it isn't really clear to me
> why it would be limited to 100Mb. Surely for a future broadband network
> based on fibre the limits could be much higher (even if most connections
> are throttled to keep the traffic
> manageable<conspiracy>/censorable</conspiracy>).

I really doubt the contention ratio for the next link in the chain
(ie past the direct home connect) is going to be so glorious as to
realistically permit higher speeds when your whole neighbourhood
decides to download the latest bit of pr0n and orgasm together. I
hope that at 100Mb they get something slightly more manageable and
provide somewhat more realistic speeds.

ap