[ProgSoc] National Broadband Network approved

arp arp at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 20:19:44 EST 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:08:47PM +1000, sanguinev at progsoc.org wrote:
> I understand the problems of providing bandwidth, but my concern is that
> the choice of "offering speeds of up to 100 [Mb]" [1] means this is the
> maximum that is supported (even if you are the only one at the next step
> up using the network). I suspect that the fibre will allow for a much
> better upgrade path, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that "100
> megabits per second is enough for anyone".... - Conroy? :P

They're probably going for the low hanging fruit first. As the new entity
makes more money they'll upgrade speeds as they go along. Once this starts
getting built the next step will be to provide eu-type services. TV, VOIP
and data where I'm hoping a lot of little guys get to provide services (as
there wont be any justification for a single source of entertainment -
changing channels could be the equivalent of picking an new ip address to
feed off) and Telstra dies just that little bit more.

Once the sources of legitimate data (you know what arr mean) begin providing
data streams in full HD there'll be an outright need for faster and the
network will get an upgrade.

This all supposes that providing 100meg to the home is sufficiently cheaper
then 1gig to the home so as to make it worthwhile to start low now.

Of course, you could always say that I'm dreamin'. :)

arp