[ProgSoc] [PROGSOC-ANNOUNCE] Progsoc AGM 26th March 7.30pm (Submit your nominations)

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Sun Mar 22 19:21:06 EST 2009

> There appears to be no specification in the Constitution of the
> requirements for either First Year
> Representative or Alumni representative (beyond being a paid up member). I
> would read it that the role of
> these positions is to represent the interests of specific groups within
> the society, rather than needing to
> be part of that group (although this would be preferable).

OK, so why did Rob Howard retract [1] John Elliot's nomination for Alumni
Rep last year?

> One thing I did notice was the restriction on holding more than 2
> consecutive terms only prevents someone
> being "elected", so if they run unopposed this may not apply.

No, it would apply - the office would simply be vacant. "Elected
unopposed" is still "elected".

We have no mechanisms in the constitution to ensure this doesn't happen,
other than to compel someone else at the AGM to stand for the office.

Our constitution has more holes in it than a wheel of Jarlsberg, that's
for certain...

> Sadly there didn't appear to be any way to fund unlimited free beer
> through the constitution...

That would defy the laws of conservation :P

Tom

[1] http://lists.progsoc.org/progsoc/2008-March/000166.html

--
To judiciously use split infinitives is fine by me...