[ProgSoc] Life membership category

arp arp at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Mon Mar 30 13:29:54 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:37:46PM +1100, Tomislav Bozic wrote:
> So, is it a violation of the Constitution - particularly S5.3 - to give
> *ex-members* free accounts? S5.3 only says *members* can not be
> remunerated. Doesn't say anything about people who once were members or
> never were members - just current, active members. Constitutionally, we
> can "remunerate" these people to our hearts' (or bank account's) content!
>
> I still maintain, regardless, that these accounts are gifts not
> remunerations. Raz can repeatedly define the words "in kind" 'til the cows
> come home, it still won't change my opinion of the nature of these
> accounts.

To quote you:

'It was resolved by those present that, for the moment, we maintain the
status quo. It was pointed out that such memberships create an incentive
for ex-regulars to remain in touch with our club. Their expertise and
support may prove to be of value to the club in the future.'

So we're hoping that they will use their skills in the future to perform
work and paying for that potential with an account on the network.

The shoe appears to fit in both the literal and intent feet afaic.

It's interesting to see this sort of stuff evolve.

arp.