[ProgSoc] Ubuntu/nautilus file management bug

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Wed Nov 18 22:11:33 EST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 08:54:40 John Elliot wrote:
> Can't think of a way to check that though, as I can't
> remember file names with any certainty.

 You said the folder went, too?  You can try searching for
 that - either with find, or just 'du -a / | grep ...' (where ...
 is something useful within the old folder name).

 As a general rule, if you think you've just deleted something
 that you desperately want back, and you don't want to
 try to recover it through mem maps in /proc, I think(!) your
 best bet is to turn the computer off immediately - not shutdown,
 but power off.  And then try recovering via some external
 bootable medium.

 I know KDE has a trash-can arrangement that all its apps
 respect, and I think the Gnome side probably has something
 similar - you might just need to enable it.

 Jedd.