[ProgSoc] ProgSoc Monthly Recap - April 2010

Tina Ng tinang at progsoc.org
Sun May 2 19:36:07 EST 2010

Missing update from the original April recap: (Thank you Tom Bozic for
pointing this out)

== Visitation of Raz ==

ProgSoc co-founder Roland Turner (Raz) made an appearance in ProgSoc on 29th
April, making him the only ProgSoc member from 1980s who still keep in
contact today. He currently works in Singapore, therefore his visitation was
a rare event.

You can read a bit more about him on his wiki page, which also contains a
link to his blog:

http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/Roland_Turner

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Tina Ng <tinang at progsoc.org> wrote:

> ***************************
> ** INSERT ASCII ART HERE **
> ***************************
>
> = ProgSoc Monthly Recap - April 2010 =
>
> In only a short month after the AGM, there have been more things happening
than an average month of life in ProgSoc. To keep everyone up to date, here
is a summary of our last month in ProgSoc (or at least what Tina saw).

> == ProgSoc Lightening Talks ==
>
> It has finally began, for real. Tina volunteered to kick start this AGM
idea on April Fools with a first year related topic, and it wasn't a joke.
Since Tina was the one hosting the talk that day, Tina cannot comment on how
well that night actually went, but she was happy enough to see almost every
first year audience stayed behind for snacks and chit-chat. The talk was a
good start for the rest of ProgSoc talk events. Big thanks to our first year
rep Livia, who went through massive amount of effort to advertise our first
talk event, and our vice president Tom Bozic who organised snacks.

> The next talk is coming up on 6th May, which is this Thursday (from when
this recap is written). Unfortunately no one else seem to be ready for this
day, so Tina is going to host the talk again, this time about "Flash vs
AJAX". According to Tina's proposal, the talk will be facilitated in an open
discussion manner, to make up for her lack of insight in Flash.

> Everyone is encouraged to propose topics on Talks Time Table in ProgSoc
wiki:

> http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/Talks_Time_Table
>
> == Desktops in ProgSoc Room ==
>
> Our CSO Noah dumped Ubuntu with OS X on rani (the middle desktop in front
of whiteboard). In addition, he is taking software requests from fellow
ProgSoc members for use on the room machines. Right now there's a decent
amount of requests made in the mailing list, but if the software you wish to
use in ProgSoc room machine is not mentioned, feel free to say so in the
mailing list.

> You can find the nominated software so far in this mailing list archive:
>
> http://lists.progsoc.org/progsoc/2010-April/001666.html
>
> == ProgSoc Ancient Relics Clearance ==
>
> Led by president Margaret, attempts have been made to clean up unnecessary
junk on the shelves in ProgSoc room this month, which are mostly old books
and dusty hardware. An ancient Apple notebook with touch screen was found
among the piles.
> The hardware was left just outside ProgSoc room entrance after the clean
up. It is unknown whether the cleaners took them or some of us took them
because the cleaners told us to. There may or may not still be trashed books
behind ProgSoc room entrance (the room before our actual room with
machines).

> Speaking of books, you may borrow the books in ProgSoc room shelves by
consulting with an executive. Feel free to drop by on Thursdays to browse
our collection.

> == Women in Engineering & IT Hands On Day ==
>
> Currently being led by Livia and Tina, ProgSoc is going to host an
activity, targeted towards Year 10-12, for WiE&IT Hands-on Day on 18th May.
The activity is going to be a demonstration of programming logic, using
paper Tic-Tac-Toe as a primary example. We have named the activity to be
"IntelliPaper 2.0 (Beta)", and it's not a piece of sheet. (courtesy of Tom
Bozic)
> Being a girl is not a requirement to host an activity for WiE&IT, so any
help and contribution to the organisation of this activity are welcomed. Tom
Bozic so far has kindly supplied catch phrases and pun jokes as part of the
presentation during this activity.

> == TFM Progress ==
>
> Nothing major seems to have happened in relation to the completion of TFM.
Perhaps the most notable achievement in TFM is the addition of the Recursion
chapter, which may or may not still be in the current TFM-in-development.

> TFM is a signature product from ProgSoc. Any technical/uni-life related
knowledge that has not been written yet is welcomed. Find out how you can
contribute to TFM here:

> http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/TFM
>
> == ProgSoc Euler ==
>
> Justin has been kicking significant amount of Euler problems with his
Python throughout the month, with Tom Bozic being second. (Unless the wiki
changes from the change log are all edits of existing solutions.) A monthly
scoreboard may or may not be introduced in the future to present ProgSoc
Euler achievements in ProgSoc monthly recaps.

> If you wish to practice programming but don't want to practice with those
tedious assignments, Euler is the answer. You can find out how to
participate here:

> http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/Euler

> This concludes the recap of April 2010 in ProgSoc. Tina hopes you enjoyed
the ProgSoc updates presented here. Since this is the first ProgSoc monthly
recap ever written, you are encouraged to criticize, let Tina know how the
recap can be improved, and most of all, share your stuff for the recap.