[ProgSoc] Corporate sponsorship

Chris Deigan ctd at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Aug 2 10:35:47 EST 2011

On 02/08/2011, at 10:06 AM, Justin Steward wrote:
> Membership fees are chump change (skip lunch for a day or two, and
> there's your membership moneys), a requirement of the union (I
> beleieve?), and provide some source of funding for the club should any
> sponsorship deal turn sour in the future (Just because the agreement
> SAYS they won't tell us what to do, they can still threaten to
> withdraw funding if we don't comply - They're bigger, they can get
> away with it).

The official union stance is:
"1. Clubs must levy a minimum annual membership fee of $5 per member and it is
suggested that clubs double the membership fee for non UTS students.
2. Multi Year and Life memberships for your club may be offered to current members
of the UTS community providing per year fee does not fall below
point 1. "

So, at a minimum to be a 'club member' we have to charge $5 to comply with the UTS Union. I think sponsorship or not, Union affiliation is vital for us to remain a club at UTS and justify occupying its space and use of its network/power resources.

That said, I think sponsorship is a good thing - it'd allow us to do more subsidised events in fancier locations, and have fancier computers. As long as ProgSoc has:
 * the fall-back to function as it currently does should sponsorship be pulled
 * is not held to misrepresent what relationship exists between ProgSoc and the sponsoring company (i.e. we can say "hey, these people sponsor progsoc. here's some things they do you may be interested in" but not "company x is awesome, progsoc says so! they can do no evil").

-Chris.