[ProgSoc] Status of the Wireless

Rob Howard rob at robhoward.id.au
Wed Apr 4 11:50:51 EST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Peter Revelant <revelant at progsoc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 16:23, Rob Howard <rob at robhoward.id.au> wrote:
>> 4) I asked about the wireless a couple of weeks ago, but none present
>> knew the status of the access point. Who owns it, who has access, and
>> is it broken or just misconfigured? (Even linux-powered gear can
>> understand WPA2 now, so wireless isn't as tricky proposition as it was
>> when we first got it set up five years ago.)
>
> The outgoing CSO briefed me on this. Here is my belated report:
>
> 1.
> There is an ITD WAP for current students and staff. ITD owns it. We
> screw with it at our peril.

History on this:

ITD provided us with an Access Point because we helped FacIT provide
laptop tech support for a year for... some reason. (Chris Laughton or
Margaret will know, but it's a mystery to me as to why we took it on.)

I guess it's useful to keep around; hopefully we can chuck our own WAP
on another channel and not any interference-related problems.

- Rob