[ProgSoc] SSL certificates renewed

Peter Revelant revelant at progsoc.org
Fri Jan 18 18:16:27 EST 2013

Mike and Raz have done a bit of work in explaining and demonstrating
the problem. I could have saved them a lot of that work if I had made
it clear that we currently don't have a pop.progsoc.org certificate.
The command output raz generated reflects this. We currently only have
certs for www.progsoc.org and webmail.progsoc.org.

In the medium to long term, I think Raz' suggestion that we replace
pop.progsoc.uts.edu.au with a pop.progsoc.org cert is the best
technical solution. I can't come up with any technical objections,
although I suspect the current general preference for
progsoc.uts.edu.au was a political decision rather than a technical
one. Perhaps some of the more recent elder statesmen could shed light
on this.

In the short term, to deal with Mike's gmail problem, I suggest
putting a .forward file in your progsoc home directory containing your
gmail address. This obviates the need to connect using POP. That is
what I do with mine, and I have had no problems. I typically use
gmail's SMTP servers to send mail from my progsoc addresses, as
inspection of this email's headers will reveal. If for some reason
this is not a suitable solution for you, let me know and I will see
what else I can do.

Peter (CSO)