[ProgSoc] ProgSoc Reloaded

John Elliot V jj5 at jj5.net
Sun Aug 6 13:29:39 AEST 2017

On 06/08/17 10:49, Tomislav Bozic wrote:
>> Things I think are important:
>> a) having a room, and
>> b) having intelligent and interesting discussion on this list, and
>> c) keeping new members connected to old members for the sake of
>> professional development, mentoring, "cultural continuity", and, dare
>> I say it, "networking"; and
>> d) having some actual programming projects, and
>> e) having some infrastructure to support actual programming projects
>> (personally I'm not a fan of outsourcing such things to GitHub, we're
>> big people, we can support a server or two).
>
> All of the above are definitely important. In order of importance for me
> right now: c), b), d), e) and finally a).

The thing about d), programming projects, as I've discovered, is that
it's really really hard to get people to engage.

Programming projects can be thankless boring chores, which require hard
thinking and much time. Generally most people are too busy to get
involved. And even if they have the time (which they probably don't)
they may not necessarily know what they're doing or what needs to be done.

I can't wave a magic wand and magically make people interested in, or
available to, actually do some programming... but I can make sporadic
progress on my own from time to time, out loud, in public, and see if
any others will take some time to join in.

E: jj5 at jj5.net
P: +61 4 3505 7839
W: https://www.jj5.net/