[ProgSoc] Pub tomorrow! Free beer!

John Elliot V jj5 at jj5.net
Wed Aug 23 14:20:22 AEST 2017

On 23/08/17 14:06, Chris Deigan wrote:
> On 23 August 2017 at 13:44, John Elliot V <jj5 at jj5.net> wrote:
>> Here are some thoughts for the agenda, please chime in if you think
>> there are other things to discuss:
>
> Just to be clear, I won't be around for more than half an hour,
> depending on what time I get away from work.

No worries Chris. That's enough time to buy you a beer, which is the
important thing!

Seems a bit silly to limit ourselves to talking at the pub tomorrow
about things we could just as well talk about on-list. Actually, the
only thing we can't do on-list is drink beer! :)

> For the benefit of discussion, below are things I can give specific insight on:
>
>> 4. What we're going to do about ProgSoc's network services, including
>> where our websites and mailing lists are hosted, if we're ever going to
>> run our own hardware again (see point 3.), who we pay for services and
>> how do we fund them, how we will upgrade the mailing list software, etc.
>
> They're currently hosted on Digital Ocean in SFO. I'm funding them
> myself. The hosting bill is approx. $80 per month -- a large
> proportion of that is on block storage for home directories.

That's very generous of you Chris, thanks.

Do we know how much money ProgSoc has in the bank?

I recall seeing a Terraform script describing the prospective setup back
when you were preparing it. Can I get a link to the latest Terraform
script? Or, perhaps just tell me:

1. How many DO VMs are we running, what are they called, and what are
their specs (i.e. CPU, RAM, etc.)? I would like to know which versions
of which operating systems we're running too.

2. With the block storage, how many gigabytes are provisioned?

> I possess the hardware that hosted ProgSoc until early this year.

Can you give us details? I.e. number of boxes and approximate specs?

E: jj5 at jj5.net
P: +61 4 3505 7839
W: https://www.jj5.net/