[ProgSoc] Changes to Fee Structure & Registration Process

Brenton Smith brenton.smith at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 28 19:41:18 AEDT 2018

Hi All,

I have some good and bad news regarding registration and the ProgSoc fee
structure.

The good news is that the executive team have decided to reduce the
membership fee for students and staff from $10 to $5, to keep the price in
line with other comparable societies and to help attract members.

The bad news however is that ActivateUTS (formerly UTS Union) have instated
a minimum $20 additional charge for external (non student or staff) members
of all affiliated clubs/societies, meaning we will have to charge $25 for
these members. This change was made as students have to pay a Student
Services & Amenities Fee (SSAF) which is used in part to fund grants etc.
for societies. After reviews/discussions an increase in external fees was
decided upon to ensure fairness between externals and students.

Finally, we will be unable to take cash payments or direct transfers for
membership fees at this stage. An MVP of a website has been rolled out and
all societies will be using a centralised registration site integrated with
PayPal. This site will also be able to verify a member's student/staff
status during registration. You can find ProgSoc's page on this site here:
https://activateuts.com.au/clubs/programmers-society-progsoc

>From what I have seen, these are both unpopular changes, and there have been
a lot of complaints and opposition to it. If you have any complaints or
feedback on these changes, I would recommend contacting Activate to discuss
it. As has informally been the case for the last few years (as far as I'm
aware), this year's executive have no intentions of locking the accounts of
ex-members that have ceased to be financial members, but this of course does
not extend to events, AGM voting privileges etc.

We really appreciate the continued support from ProgSoc alumni, so I
apologise for making this change but hope you understand that we had no
choice and were not proactively consulted on this.

TL;DR: We must now charge alumni $25, and registration or renewal has to be
done via a website + PayPal.

Regards,
Brenton Smith (ProgSoc President)