[PROGSOC-ANNOUNCE] UTS ProgSoc Industry Connect Series: Internet Security and You

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Fri Oct 7 20:30:33 EST 2011

GUEST SPEAKER: Daniel Comarmond (former Systems Engineer at Websense, and
Cisco Systems)

WHEN: Thursday 20 October, 2011, 18:30 ~ 20:00

WHERE: Aerial Function Centre, Level 7, 235 Jones Street, Ultimo, NSW 2007
(Building 10, University of Technology, Sydney)

PRICE: Free, RSVP required

If you use the web and e-mail, but are not technical... we've designed
this session for you!

Will opening that e-mail potentially expose you to identity theft? Why
does Facebook keep asking you to review my account privacy settings? Will
clicking on that Google result put you on the wrong side of your work
internet usage policy - and perhaps your HR department? And why has your
search engine mysteriously changed from Google to ...searchqu.com...? Now
you've received a pop-up window saying your computer has a virus and needs
to download a malware scanner... what does this all mean?!?

Every week we hear of credit card or identity details being stolen, or a
company's security defences getting compromised. The best way to protect
yourself at home or at work isn't necessarily the brand of anti-virus you
use on your computer, nor how many times you update your web browser...
it's down to your choices as to how you interact with the internet.

>From reducing the risks associated with your online credit card
transactions at home to being a risk-aware user of the network at your
office - this seminar is about taking the geek-speak out so you can make
more informed choices and enjoy the internet more.

This session is free, open to anyone to attend, and is designed ESPECIALLY
for you if you are NON-TECHNICAL (we will be discouraging any techies from
asking questions full of jargon!)

RSVP and ENQUIRIES:

psexec at progsoc.uts.edu.au