Re: Computer Systems Committee

James Wondrasek (jimmy@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU)
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 13:23:59 +1000 (EST)

Francis Liu RDC(?) was very out of touch when he wrote:

>Do you really think that many first year members will be news.posters?
>Not to mention the apathy that spreads to people once they enter their
>2nd year? And what does en masse mean? 50 or 100 folk suckered at
>enrolment or the entertainment event (eg sausage sizzle, PC bashing)
>into signing their possibly hard-earnt dollars for TFM, and a yearly
>membership into progsoc, (which by the way has not delivered anything
>for its financial members besides TFM)? Do you really think these are
>the people that will flood the the mailing list?

The question is not on the number of people posting news, but on the
amount of mail generated by having a large mailing list, especially when
most of it is going to be residing in the same mailspool. As for TFM, we
are yet to hear anything negative from anybody who has bought one. It is
still useful and will be as long as there are 1st years. Besides, if you
don't want the book you can join for just $7, which also gets you an
account on the ProgSoc machine. What else do you want? We are yet to do
a BBQ, but if you really want one...

> I dont think a local newsgroup is very useful for people without access to
> the newsserver at socs.

You mean without access to the newsserver on ftoomsh. It would be only
local, only members would have access to it.

> So Ryan thinks the drivel,(oops), discussion that constitutes progsoc mail is
> worth keeping for all eternity. What a strange interpretation of archiving.

No, he thinks the things people are volunteering for and the suggestions
they are making should be saved so they don't just disappear into the
ether along with the ill-informed criticism that gets posted.

Jimmy