Re: Ftoomsh Dial-Ins?

raz@nospam.number5.apana.org.au
Mon, 26 Apr 93 20:00:10 EST

From: Jeremy Charles Rashbrooke <jrashbro@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU>

> 9600bps is better than 2400, sure, but 2400 is better than nothing.
> (ie, I'd be happy with 2400 connectability, as it's more than acceptable
> for most CLI type tasks)
>
> What would the Uni's, and AARNET's, reaction be to a user-sponsored
> dial-in system (ie, a student(s) purchase phone line & modem for the
> Ftoomsh side, and have sole use of that connection)? For my own part,
> this would be preferable to competing with the irc-addicts for a
> small number of 'public' dial-ins.
>
> What was meant by the earlier comment on 'cable space', or lack of
> availability of same?
>
> Jedd.

A convenient term that I invented meaning that cable takes up a finite
amount of space, consequently to get phone lines into Ftoomsh, we are
going to need to arrange permission to use some space in which to run cable.
More likely, we'll need to arrange for ITD to provide phone lines. In any
event, I don't think that we can get away with installation of phone
lines without the universities involvement at some point.