Re: Resend : That file (not in MIME format)..

Matthew Gream (M.Gream@nospam.uts.edu.au)
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 09:55:57 +1100

"Piers Edmund Johnson" wrote:

> I shouldn't think so, as this is at least the second person
> found to be doing this stuff on ftoomsh. (And the evidence is
> rather conclusive, don't you think?)

Who appointed you judge ? It's pretty clear from my point of view that
the account XYZ is being used for illicit purposes, but what isn't
clear is whether the real user XYZ is responsible or whether the
account has been comprimised. Maybe you fail to see this possibility ?

In `broadcasting' as the poster did, he is alledging by inference
illegal activities by XYZ when it may not be the case. It is possible,
and I'm only minimally legally trained, that this could be the subject
of defamation action by the real XYZ who has been publically defamed.

I hope you don't think I'm joking either. I'm quite serious about the
rights of individuals and the part we as technological `leaders' have
to play in preserving those rights. It's quite sad to see that in what
is supposed to be an educational environment that there is this lack of
ethics from people who aspire to become true professionals.

I'm not in anyway suggesting that the activities be overlooked, but
their exposure can be done in a manner that does not reveal the
identity of the individual until it is shown that he or she is
responsible. For example, if the original poster had replaced all
instances of username with some none descriptive string ("XYZ") then
this would have been satisfactory.

Matthew.

--
Matthew Gream