Re: Resend : That file (not in MIME format)..

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.EDU.AU)
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 11:46:35 +1100

On Thu, 3 Nov 1994, Matthew Gream wrote:

> The judge more than anything is concerned with the individual, not with
> appeasing the community.

Actually, I think your just about *exactly* wrong. Judges do not give
sentences as a form means of personal revenge for the victim. Judges give
sentences for the "good of the community". The law is visible justice, a
quote often used by judges is "justice must be seen to have been done".

Rehabilitation of criminals is there for the community good. The benefit
to the criminal seems to be only secondary in nature.

On a less etherial point I suggest, given the transitory nature of data,
that any accused persons account should be locked *immediately*, until the
matter is decided. Also that false accusation should be considered grounds
for possible offence.

Scott Hopwood shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au

'A monkey throws,
A spinning bone,