Re: Resend : That file (not in MIME format)..

Tim Sadler (trsadler@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 16:20:05 +1100 (EST)

I apologise in advance for any spelling mistakes!

On Thu, 3 Nov 1994, Colin Panisset wrote:

> Once upon a time, Tim Sadler was heard to say:
> } On Thu, 3 Nov 1994, Scott Hopwood wrote:
> } > Rehabilitation of criminals is there for the community good. The benefit
> } > to the criminal seems to be only secondary in nature.
> }
> } This is a very callous view. Yes the rehabilitation can be seen to
benefit
> } the society in returning citizens who will conform to the legal aspects
> } of society (not that it always works), but It is *not* put there for the
> } purpose of saving the community but rather of helping the criminals come
> } back into society
>
> No, not strictly true. Rehabilitation is a handy term dangled about
> to soothe the wounds of "bleeding-heart liberals". If rehab really
> were the whole point of prison terms, there'd be a whole lot more
> research into valid rehab methods, prisons wouldn't be learning
> institutions for new crimes, and released criminals would actually be
> rehabilitated instead of twisted against society in different ways.
>>
> Sentencing is all about getting troublesome people out of the way, and
> keeping them there as long as possible.

I have to justify myself at this point...

I do not disagree that the current standards in rehab ore
ieffecutal in the majority of cases, but it is the principal. Yes, the
societies view of prisons are to get the offender out of the way for as
long as possible, but the prisons system (as I believe) does not aim for
this... the prisons are crowded! And whoever said that there weren't any
studies or researchers looking into more effective rehab methods
obviously doesn't know the real situation. There are the odd few going
on, but the federal government is more interested in changing our flag
and ousting the queen and Paul in getting himself his own throne room
than getting prisoners out of gaol and back into society as reformed
citizens. And at this point I wish to stress that I said that rehab
rarely seems to work!

> I'll get off my social soapbox now.

And Me off mine!!!

And if that very large single paragraph annoys you... KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!

Timbo (alias Gargamel) Sadler | Trust because you are willing
trsadler@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au | to accept the risk,
gargamel@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au | not beacuase it is safe
A mere student... | or certain.