Re: posting policy

Cameron Hutchison (camh@nospam.orthanc.apana.org.au)
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 02:15:09 +1000 (EST)

Once upon a time Colin Panisset said...
> Once upon a time, Thomas James Magill was heard to say:
>
> } Does progsoc have a policy for the roasting of job advertisers on the
> } progsoc list?
> }
> } No. I mean, no, there isn't a policy. But we can make one up.
> }
> } Send mail to jlp@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au with a message like :
>
> I dunno if this falls within our sphere of influence. I guess it could,
> but I don't want to start overstepping our welcome; the JLP was formed
> to handle complaints (and from the ashes of our decisions might rise
> shining new policy), but not to handle general questions of policy.

This is what I thought originally (ie. not the job of the JLP), but I
remember that at the GM we decided that the JLP was to interpret policy,
make recommendations to enforce it and to create new policy where it is
lacking. This clearly seems to be a case where it is lacking (and would
end up being part of an AUP for the mailing list [not suggesting a separate
AUP for the mailing list, just as part of the AUP]).

So, all you progsoc members, if you have any feelings on this issue either
way, make sure that you send your vote to colin. The JLP can then make some
policy based on the member's wishes.

Cheers

--
Cameron Hutchison (camh@nospam.orthanc.apana.org.au) | Beware of the clams