Re: AGM/Executive places

Peter Lees (peterl@nospam.jolt.mpx.com.au)
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 23:49:45 +1000 (EST)

piers wrote:

> I don't think people should promote themselves for positions.
[...]
> As the vote is open to all paid-up members, it will be the members' own
> ideas of who is suitable for office that will decide who actually is
> elected.

unfortunately 90% (or possibly more) of the members don't have
a clue what the other people *look* like, let alone what their
personalities and/or skills may be. this makes it hard to make any
judgement, accurate or otherwise.

another problem (which occurs in *all* clubs & societies) is that about
10% of the members do 95% (or more) of the work. these are also the
people who know what each other look like, and are also able to make
accurate (and even concerted) judgements of who to vote for. this can
be a good thing, since it leads to some stability and allows the society
to get on with *doing* things rather than stuffing about arguing over
elections. however, an unfortunate side-effect of this, umm, "elite"
(best word i could think of) group is that the group tends to graduate
(ie leave) at the same or similar time, thus destroying the stable helm
and leaving the society flapping about loosely for a couple of years
before another stable group takes control.

what has this got to do with anything?

well, there are two points really:

1 - it would be good to know who the likely candidates are
ie: who's interested in what positions, what they do now,
what they want to do, stuff like that

2 - there may be some merit in creating a 7th executive postion:
"First Year Representative". in my experience, this is a
good way of getting a stable management some "new blood" ,
who can then learn what's going on and why, so some kind of
continuity can be maintained.

i won't pretend i know the intricacies of numbers required on committees,
etc, but would like to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea.

(come on, you lurkers! i know you're out there!)

cheers

peter
(professional ranter)

--