Re: Files and HTML

Ian Woolf (ian@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 9 May 1995 17:29:23 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 9 May 1995, James Richard Webster wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 1995, James Richard Webster wrote:
>
> Okay, I am having a little trouble with something I am trying to setup in
> my home page. I am attempting to put in a link to a file, which if the
> viewer selects, will download that file. The file is a binary (in this
> case, an ARJ/ZIP/etc), so it is not something that is fed into a
> soundplayer, nor does it make a hell of a lot of sense if you view it,

My understanding is that if it has an extension that your browser doesn't
recognize, it will ask you. You may have your browser set up wrongly.

> i.e. a href to ftoomsh.progsoc.etc.etc/my/path/here/filename, does not
> work (it just displays the file, and with different results every time at
> that...). Nor does ftp://ftoomsh/location/of/path, i also tried
> replacing ftp with file, am I still doing something wrong? Or is the
> configuration on ftoomsh such that I am prohibited from doing this.

FTP should definitely work now that anonymous ftp has been allowed on
ftoomsh, however I don't think you can give the same directory paths for
anonymous ftp?

http://ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au/~ian/ Ian Woolf
ian@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au 4/267 Mowbray Rd
iwoolf@nospam.sleeper.apana.org.au Chatswood 2067, Australia
The nicer guy it couldn't happen to. Phone: +61 2 415 1132