Re: Packet blocking between ftoomsh and outside UTS.

Kirk Nesbitt (kanesbit@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Wed, 17 May 1995 10:30:43 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Ian Woolf wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 1995, Dennis Clark wrote:
>

> > As some of you may have already discovered, with the exception of mail
> > all IP packets (both incoming and outgoing) between ftoomsh and sites
> > outside the University are being blocked. This has been done by ITD on
> > the request of the ProgSoc Executive. Currently the duration of this
> > blocking is indefinite.
>
> I'm no longer a UTS student, do I get banned from telnetting into
> ftoomsh, and ftping files to and from? Will my Web page still be
> accessible from outside UTS? Why not just blackban the abusers permanently?
> This blanket approach is too indiscriminate.

I agree with Ian. This approach totally sucks. It punishes the people
who are using ftoomsh correctly i.e according to the acceptable usage
policy. When ftoomsh is no longer connected to the net it will be a sad
day, and lets face it it is going to happen if something drastic isn't
done now. The users in question need to be blackbanned, never allowed on to
ftoomsh again *EVER* no second chances or piss weak slaps on the wrist,
just get off of our machine and never let me see you around here again
sort of thing. I also think that we should ban the use of IRC, because it
seems to easily abused, and is pointless, Telnet, FTP and HTTP are much
more important and could actually be used in the real world for benefit
i.e. to get a job.

To sum up Ban IRC, black ban all people involved in getting ftoomsh a bad
name.

thats my $0.02 worth!
kanesbit@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au -- serious stuff
gherk@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au -- everything not to do with uni