Re: Another question from the hopeless beginner...

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au)
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 13:07:21 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Jun 1995, Matt Estela wrote:

> When I ctrl-z a process, does it continue to run in the background, or is
> it trooly 'suspended'? If this is so, then I'm assuming that there is
> another unix ctrl-* command that'll keep the process running. Is there?
> TIA,

bg (background)

This allows the process to continue running in the background. Note that
it will be suspended, waiting for input if it tries to read stdin.

fg (foreground)

This moves a process running in the backgraound to make it run in the
foreground.

Scott Hopwood 'When all else fails, consult an oracle.
(02) 351-6098 Usually, the best place to track down one
shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au is in the bottom of a glass of red.'
shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au