Re: Chaos out of Order

Anton Blanchard (anton@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au)
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 21:13:58 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 13 Aug 1995, Dennis Clark proved there's life in him yet:

> The most visible aspect of this change will be a change of ftoomsh's
> _REAL_ address (as opposed to alias) from 'ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au' to
> 'ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au'. Members need to be wary that this will
> mean that references to the old address may become invalid in the
> future, forcing E-mail to bounce and Web links to fail. We want to make
> the transition as painless as possible, so we need to plan ahead for
> this.

Mail is at the moment being accepted as such:

anton@nospam.ftoomsh.socs.uts.edu.au
anton@nospam.ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au
anton@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au

Take your pick of the last two. I would suggest updating .sigs and www
pages now to avoid problems in the foreseeable future.

People using mailing lists may have to update their address regardless
of whether ftoomsh continues to accept the old address or not. This is
because outgoing mail will no longer read ftoomsh.socs and some listservers
will deny posting.

Seeing we are making the change, I thought we could go all the way and
make outgoing mail appear to come from user@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au.

As a related issue, we could gate a few mailing lists to news seeing
inn isn't doing much at the moment.

> Another thing we should do in preparation for TFM'96 is to scan through
> the progsoc mailing list archive for common questions that have been
> asked on it, so we can build up a quick FAQ to include in it.

I was also thinking it might be worth automatically subscribing new
accounts to the mailing list.

Anton

--
Anton Blanchard                      anton@nospam.progsoc.uts.edu.au
Electrical Engineering Student       ablancha@nospam.acs.itd.uts.edu.au

And you let me stand here and bare my soul?