Re: Getting into Xwindows programming???

Jas (matt@nospam.lordmuck.itd.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:55:44 +1000 (EST)

Roland John Turner wrote this...

> Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > Yes but I feel it is much better to hard code a binary, and allow everyone
> > to run it without problems. Especially if you create DLLs sitting in your
> > home directory.
> >

> ?? Hard coding it would mean that LESS people could run the
> resulting binary...

> (Do you REALLY have paths hard coded into all of your binaries? Certainly
> in my work environment, predominantly Solaris, nothing does. Everything
> depends on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, consequently one binary will run
> anywhere, you can even do library development without upsetting the
> public copy of a library. Yes I know about the security ramifications...)

bzzzt you will find that all the Solaris binaries that come with the
OS do in fact have the directories hard coded into the binaries. You
will also find that setuid/setgid binaries ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
its bastard brother LD_PRELOAD.

> - Raz

Matt

--
#!/bin/sh
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D3F204445524F42snlbxq'|dc;exit

It's nice to be in a position where people apologize because they assume there's humor in your work, based on past experience, but they're not sure where it is. -- Rob Pike