Re: Club Tshirt - Re: Windows haters... WHY???

Sturt Ison (tshison@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 12:13:00 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, James 'Woody' Webster wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 1995 pmeric@nospam.vnet.ibm.com wrote:
> [...]
> > This is, of course, irrelevant once the person has a job, as the
> > degree they gained fades into irrelevance (although never completely...)
>
> Indeed. So if a BTech grad invests their time in gaining technical
> skills, then essentially they are no different from a CompSci...
>
> Actually, here is something for everyone to think about. A friend of a
> friend (who is in his early-20's) is of the opinion that computing
> degrees (CompSci, BTech, AppSci, whatever), aren't worth the paper they
> are printed on. His opinion is that most comp.sci students are wasting
> their time at uni, time which would be better spent in industry learning
> stuff you need to know! Time management, project management, industrial
> strength coding, etc, etc. To give you some idea of his skills profile,

In my early 20's, I used to be of the same opinion. I went through a
yuppie stage, earning great $$$ while my friends were studying. I learnt a
lot about the items above including dealing with clients, designing and
writing systems, installing, and training people.

However, I, and the company I worked for, made many mistakes that could
have been prevented, if someone had studied. There was not the same
awareness of different methodologies, possibilities that comes from
university study.

You may think that now, and in the future, the degree is not worth it,
but you will be where you are because of it.

> I believe this gentleman has recently been offered a career working for a
> British game development software house. And, of course, he has no
> degree! You Decide!

Don't become a big fish in a small pond. Get the degree.

EOF

Sturt Ison <tshison@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au> http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~sturt
SoCSBook'95 - The Next Generation http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~sturt/yb