Re: Re[2]: Club Tshirt - Re: Windows haters... WHY???

The Kane Gang (piers@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au)
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 18:56:58 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Sammy Yousef wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, The Kane Gang wrote:
>
> > Yup. I always use Word 6 to delete all the files and corrupt the FAT of my
> > floppies. Can't wait for the next release! I've heard it does the same
> > for hard drives and network drives (which Word 6 somehow failed to do).
>
> Actually Word and to a lesser extent publisher seem to be the best in
> their class. Excel isn't half bad either. These products are the
> exceptions to the rule, and Word does have a bit of a prob. releasing
> memory after it is closed. Oh yeah and then there was that whole mess
> with the word 6.0a upgrade. Still on the whole the three products I have
> mentioned are probably the best Microsoft has ever produced.

That's either gullibility, or a damning indictment of Microsoft...

I was serious, guy. Word 6 *does* corrupt your FAT. Try this simple test:

1) put floppy in drive, start Word.
2) open document from drive a:
3) decide to combine it with another
4) eject floppy, insert another
5) with the combine menu, select a:. Wait while disk churns.
6) DISK ERROR! You have now corrupted your newly-inserted diskette.

Last year at the school of business, I saw nearly every student suffer
this torture. It wasn't until word got around that they should use the
network or hard drive while creating a document, and only save the final
copy to floppy that this stuff stopped happening.

I've heard that Excel will corrupt a floppy if you eject one and insert
another. The problem stems from Windows not noticing that disks have been
changed (Why? There was a BIOS thing for detecting a drive gate open
years ago - why can't it be detected?).

He is so dark and moody / She is the sunshine girl - St Etienne
Piers