Re: disk usage on dwelling

daedalus (daedalus@nospam.ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au)
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:54:01 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Iain Sinclair wrote:

> We already have the silliest way of keeping disk usage down - none.
>
> Could progsoc organise a pissup in a brewery? It couldn't organise
> a DOOM contest in a university full of PCs, this year, so it might
> be too much to expect a non-silly system (for instance, paying by the
> MB, as used by many other semi-commercial user groups).

Well, I don't think many progsoc members will be too keen on
paying for disk usage, especially seeing as disk storage on acacia et al
run by itd is free. If we did have to pay for it, then we should expect
better service regarding backups etc. As far as I am aware, backups are
essentially non-existant for your average user (like me). I don't care
because I a) don't pay for it and b) it crashes less often than acacia.
If payment was the decision made, then I'd be moving all my files
to acacia and ftping them as I needed them. This would be a major pain in
the butt, but hey, it would be free. We have already payed $10 membership
(with TFM) and isn't ftoomsh a donation from Sun anyway?
Hell, I'll prolly be flamed out for taking this non-paying
attitude, but then, I don't use much disk space anyhow, compared to my
acacia account. Ftoomsh kicks ITD for useability in my book tho, which is
why I'm here.
Who wants ProgSoc to become semi-commercial anyhow? That means
accountants made from programmers. Does this bother anyone? ;)

daedalus
If I don't exist, then who are the
voices talking to?
daedalus@nospam.ftoomsh.progsoc.uts.edu.au