Re: disk usage on dwelling

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au)
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 09:13:53 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Peter Lees wrote:

> doesn't sunos have a whole bunch of accounting software built-in?
>
> can't we use disk quotas to ensure a fair and equitable distribution
> of resources?
>
> c.1600MB / c. 250 users = 6MB each.
> enforce "soft" and "hard" quotas
>
> pay for nothing. beg sun for another diskdrive when we get more users
>
> no need to dither. let's just do it.

Hmmm ... the problem with this is that it encourages people to use up to
thier soft limit. You (can) end up with a lot of people having small
amounts, and no-one with anything usable [basically, look at the
university model].

Sillish Idea II

Stacastic process (again!) that finds files in user accounts (with size
bias) and compresses them. Perhaps with a restriction that it won't
compress bin/home/html directroies (of course anyone putting things in
the protected directories that shouldn't be there will be taken out the
back and slapped with a wet piece of cellery).

Scott Hopwood 'When all else fails, consult an oracle.
(02) 351-6098 Usually, the best place to track down one
shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au is in the bottom of a glass of red.'
shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au