Re: Web Page Forms

Dennis Clark (dennis@nospam.ilanet.slnsw.gov.au)
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:33:35 +1100 (EST)

In previous mail, I wrote:

> A far better alternative is to use a CGI program to decode the form
> first, and then do what you want done with it. If you just need it to
> be E-mailed to yourself, may I suggest the following:
>
> http://siva.cshl.org/email/index.html

Oops. Slight blunder there. This is actually a comment mailer, ie. its
for users whose browsers don't understand mailto: URLs at all (a rare
breed indeed these days).

The closest one I can find so far which processes arbitrary forms is:

ftp://opal.vcu.edu/pub/clstephe/formpost.tar.Z

This one doesn't E-mail you the results, but instead writes them out in
HTML format to a file. Its Postcard-ware, which means you register it
by sending the author a postcard (I'm not sure why anybody would bother
with such a simple program like that tho).

Its strange that a program so simple to write is so hard to find on the
Net (perhaps it is for that very reason). Just get the Perl code Sbug
mailed, add in a couple of E-mail headers at the start, and pipe it to
/usr/lib/sendmail (WARNING: Many security holes can be opened up by such
a program, so make sure you know what you are doing should you choose to
accept this mission).

Cheers,

Dennis Clark | Email: dennis@nospam.ilanet.slnsw.gov.au
Programmer, ILANET | Tel: +61 2 230 1424
State Library of NSW | Fax: +61 2 232 8701
"What a tangled WWW we weave!"