Re: Would I be up for libel???

Scott Hopwood (shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au)
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:28:12 +1100 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Cameron Hutchison wrote:

> "Contrary to popular belief, truth alone is generally not enough
> in itself to defend an action in defamation. The publication of
> true but ugly personal facts, for example, would be defamatory
> unless there is some countervailing public interest in the facts
> being known." [p29, top of column 2]
>
> The article says nothing of who Stephen O'Gorman is (although
> his email is stephen@nospam.ee.su.oz.au - I dont know how much ee's really
> know about law :) so I cant vouch for its accuracy - but its a
> differing view.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Cameron Hutchison (camh@nospam.orthanc.apana.org.au) | Beware of the clams
> GCS d--@nospam. -p+ c++(++++) l++ u+ e+ m+(-) s n- h++ f? !g w+ t r+

I know that the exact letter of the law differs from state to state. For
example in NSW the truth will protect you from deformation, while in
Victoria you could be sued on the grounds of harmful intend - or some such.
How it works across cross state borders, I don't know.

This is acording to a radio program on radio national from about two years
ago.

Scott Hopwood 'When all else fails, consult an oracle.
(02) 351-6098 Usually, the best place to track down one
shopwood@nospam.staff.cs.su.oz.au is in the bottom of a glass of red.'
shopwood@nospam.socs.uts.edu.au